Wednesday, August 3, 2011

And I'm Off...



…and running. I’ve officially started the new feature-length script, even as I’m wrapping up revisions on the first one. I’ve got nine pages down. Getting to hammer out my characters on the page, instead of in my mind, is helping the rest of the idea take shape.

Already, I’m catching myself leaning toward making this more of a scary script, even though the story as a whole is more drama than horror. Or maybe it’s just that, no matter what the serious subject matter, I tend to see the horror in it.

To be honest, I feel more thoroughly entertained when I watch horror than I typically do watching any other genre. There’s something about horror that I find makes it easier to be transported – maybe the way it keeps you totally on your toes; you’re more involved with a horror movie because, unlike lots of other movies, which you can watch passively, hoping for an effect, a horror movie quickens your pulse from the very beginning, because you just don’t know what it’s going to expose you to. People think it’s a cheaper form of entertainment, but I disagree – although, obviously, a lot of industry professionals cheapen it with lots of unnecessary boobs and gore, forgetting to create brilliant stories. Guess all genres do that, though.

It feels great to be off and running on a new script. Of course, I’m off in another way, too – still off from work, if you can believe it, and will be for another week! Here’s hoping to get lots of writing done.

No comments:

Post a Comment