Monday, December 19, 2011

Living and Loving the DFA


You’d think that since leaving my job, I’d have more time to be posting, wouldn’t you? Well, my classes at the DFA are only part of why I’ve been pretty short on time… the other part of the equation I’ll get to in a future post.

First, the DFA. Classes started on November 21st and typically take up 9-12 hours per week. What can I say about this program except that I absolutely love it? The school is unlike any other I’ve experienced.

For starters, I’m one in a class of 4, which means a lot of participation and hands-on learning. We learn literally all aspects of the film business, rotating between screenwriting, producing, directing, camera equipment, and lighting. Also, we’ll soon be getting to sound and editing. The professors are absolutely packed with knowledge and load us up with industry tips and advice. What’s also a huge, huge bonus - my other classmates.

Everyone in the class is serious about learning all there is to know about filmmaking. Another student, like me, started out as a writer, and has a feature script he’s determined to shoot this summer. Being a small group, we’ve really bonded, and all plan to partner together on one project after the next. Soon, we’ll be into our ‘finals’ – and each one of us will need to complete a short film with our class as our crew. I think that, already, we all trust each other to help us all achieve great results.

Another great thing about the DFA is that, once enrolled, you have a year-long membership to use all their equipment, and they try to hook you up with freelance jobs you can complete on their premises. This is just icing on the cake.

One last note, to any of you considering taking courses like these, another student in the class had taken a similar program at the New York Film Academy, and warned that their classes are so stuffed with students that he didn't always even get into classes (which, even with being enrolled, might fill up before you get there.) It's also more money than the DFA. I strongly recommend the DFA!

Right now, I’m finalizing my script for my short film project and will be putting out a casting call within the next few days… can’t wait to keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment