Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Screenwriters World Conference and Other Adventures


I feel like things are now really rolling, my friends. I said a long time ago that I wanted to do a pitch fest as a part of my No MFA Project… well, it’s happening on Jan. 21st. I’ll be attending the Screenwriter’s World Conference in NYC.

Half of the day will be spent pitching my script to agents and producers. Each meeting is 5 minutes total – with the first 90 seconds for my pitch, the remaining 3 and a half minutes for their feedback. In a worse case scenario, they give advice on how to improve the pitch. Pitching isn’t my strong suit, so it’s advice that will be very welcome. In a best case scenario, writers may find representation or even option their scripts.

The other half of the day is spent sitting in on seminars on topics like finding an agent, selling your script, etc.

It is a little pricey - $299 – but for this kind of thing, that really isn’t so bad. The education gained off of even making failed pitches would be, I think, worth it. Besides, even with another $299 added to my current No MFA bill, I’m still $96,700 better off than I would have been getting my dramatic writing MFA at Tisch.

Check out the conference if you’re interested. Maybe I’ll see you there. ;)


Also, to add to the excitement of finally moving into the script-pitching stage of things, I learned about Specbank today. If TV commercial scripts are your thing, this is a completely free website for writers to upload their scripts. The site is a resource for directors looking for scripts to shoot to help grow their reel. While they grow their reel, you can grow your writing resume.


Final update of the day, I’m holding my auditions for my short film at the DFA tomorrow. I have 16 actors and actresses scheduled from 2 to 7. Sure to be an exhausting but amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment