Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Screening and Directors' Choice Award

I'm so excited you would think I won the Oscars.

Last night, I went to the Digital Film Academy's Short Film Screening at Anthology Film Archives. (By the way, AFA is a pretty cool place. I'm thinking of getting a membership, especially since it offers the opportunity to meet lots of first-time directors when they screen their features.) At any rate, I was incredibly nervous as the lights went down and the short films began to roll. Every time one ended, I had a dizzy sensation, knowing that mine might come up next.

But, as the night wore on, I began to calm down - and seriously enjoy - all the other short films! It was actually a wildly entertaining evening, and everyone who submitted a short film should be thrilled with what went up on the screen.

Toward the end of the screening, it finally happened - the little production company logo I had created for myself flashed onscreen, and I knew my movie was about to begin.

I can't even describe the rush I felt seeing it up on the big screen, or how I was still glowing this morning. Yes, seeing it large made me really see some things I want to fix: it's dark enough to warrant some color correction (which I'd hoped to avoid) and the volume needs to be adjusted a bit... but, as I listened to the audience react, laughing where I wanted them to laugh, gasping when I wanted them to gasp, and, finally, applauding at the end, I was so full of joy that I could have danced out of that theater.

And then, the icing on the cake - the director of the school notified me this afternoon that my short film had won the Directors' Choice Award for the screening. (At which point I did actually dance for joy, in my apartment. Again, you would have thought it was an Academy Award.)

Right now, I'm feeling incredibly encouraged, and fueled up for more filmmaking. I plan to spend next week at the DFA doing the color correction and volume-adjusting that last night showed me I needed. Then, I plan to submit the film to the Williamsburg Film Festival, which has a student film category, and the deadline is next Saturday, April 21st.

Just two days ago I talked about wanting to see the landmarks on my new path. This was a pretty awesome one!

No comments:

Post a Comment