Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My First Distribution Deal!


About a week and a half ago now, I celebrated a pretty big milestone… I signed my first distribution deal with a web channel for my short films.

Meaning that, for each short film I churn out, I can actually be paid. Paid. For SHORT FILMS. Who knew?

Short films are up-and-coming. (Yet another reason to make shorts, in addition to learning about film-making, getting your name out there, building a resume, and making connections.)

Shorts have always existed, but in a way that was pretty much limited to film festivals. The average person didn’t see too many of them. Now, thanks to the proliferation of online content, shorter attention spans, and the encouragement of the big leagues (this year was the first year that the Academy of Motion Pictures released a DVD of the Oscar-nominated short films), they’re in demand.

What’s more, a number of web channels have sprung up and are looking for content, and this includes short films. I got my deal by responding to a post I saw on one of the many industry newsletters I subscribe to (I think it was Media Source) about how iflixtv.com was looking to build new content partnerships. I applied, submitted my links - and the rest is history.

I signed a 6-page contract (after asking about 1,000 questions) and will now receive 70% of what viewers pay to iflix to watch my shorts. I can upload as many as I like (once each short makes it through their clearance process, that is.) What’s more, the deal is non-exclusive, so I am still allowed to submit my shorts to festivals or post them to my Vimeo or Youtube pages if I so choose.

I think this will provide a great means through which to learn about what’s marketable and what’s not. Since my earnings correspond directly to what people will watch and how long they watch, this deal gives me a great new tool for gauging what people like and want.

The best part of all though is having both #1. Validation that my short films are worthwhile, and #2. Inspiration to make more shorts in the coming months. A producer friend and I are discussing one in particular, and this opportunity is making me reevaluate what I can do on my own, cheaply and quickly, to get more shorts up fast.

Also, since a recent study I read showed that people are more likely to watch and pay for ‘episodic content’ than to log on for one-off shorts, I’m mulling over ideas for a few series… stay tuned. J

No comments:

Post a Comment