Thursday, July 19, 2012

TA'ing at the DFA


So in addition to the many random things I’ve been doing lately, I’ve become a teaching assistant at the Digital Film Academy. Not too much to say about this, except that it’s interesting to be on the other side of the desk. It’s actually a good set-up for me, since I get to basically re-take classes I had a few months ago while helping the teachers out. (Also in consideration: I might be buying one of the DFA’s official cameras. The little video camera I currently have is excellent for what it is, but it wouldn’t be up to par on a film set. We’ll see!)

I actually worked as an adjunct teacher at two universities prior to getting my publishing job, and I really do miss it sometimes. Teaching is enjoyable, and I luckily am comfortable talking to a class. (A plus for someone in a creative field, as they often wind up doing some teaching in their careers to help make ends meet.) It’s been fun to hear about what the students are planning for their short films, which they’re actually shooting now… it’ll be really interesting to see those short films at the next screening in a few months, and to find out who’s the next Director’s Choice Award winner from this new crop of filmmakers!

Equally interesting is analyzing students’ personalities. True, we all get the chance to observe other people’s behavior every day, but for some reason, a classroom atmosphere makes it extra clear – who takes charge; who takes charge, but with an attitude; who doesn’t expect to have to work; who wants to work but is too shy to step forward and do it… I think a heightened awareness/recognition of these traits can help us to hone our own traits however we want. A great part of teaching (or even just being a teaching assistant) is that you step into that role of the one in charge, the one who knows what’s going on… a role we should all be putting ourselves in every day.

This was just a short post, but I'll be back soon with what I've been learning these past few weeks about creating high concepts for your screenplays!

No comments:

Post a Comment