Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Perils of Filming Ghost Stories (...Right Before Spending a Long Weekend Alone)


Fresh off the glory of WilliFest, I was feeling extra-inspired to get more filming done. I was particularly inspired by an article I read about how to score a high number of viewings on Vimeo… the article detailed the exact right time to post your film, among other things, to help it get a lot of hits. (See article here.)

So I started to think… what short could I make within the next few weeks that I could post to get a lot of hits? What might be happening this month that would interest people?

HALLOWEEN.

Ok, brilliant – I decided I would interview people with ghost stories and put a segment together for Halloween. Interviewing people on camera, as opposed to orchestrating the filming of a narrative short, is comparatively easy. I would just need to book a room at the DFA, set up some creepy lighting, and rattle off a list of questions to my interviewees about their supernatural experiences.

It went great. I was thrilled with how my lighting turned out. The interviewee I had on my first night of filming was super generous with the details he was willing to discuss… the interview itself was juicy. I went home thinking I had gold.

One problem.

The next morning, I had to head to Pennsylvania to do four overnight stays with a dog. (Yeah, remember when I bought that pet care business back in May?) Said dog’s house is set back from the road, surrounded by woods, and ‘my’ bedroom when I stay there is in the basement.

I stayed there once before over the summer, with no problems whatsoever. But this time was different. This time, every time I had to go to bed, I was faced with absolute terror.

All because my interviewee’s story, about how as a teenager he had seen a demon in the woods near his house, had gotten under my skin… and I kept expecting to see one myself around every corner in this dark, silent mansion. (‘Mansion’ is not an exaggeration.)

It didn’t help that the house’s plumbing routinely made noises that sounded like doors opening and closing in other parts of the house.

And it really, REALLY didn’t help that, on my last night there, by which time I was desperate for sleep, the dog (who never EVER barks) began barking hysterically inside her crate up in the kitchen at exactly midnight, begging to go into the yard where she proceeded to flip out even more, and then taking over an hour to calm herself back down.

I returned to NYC yesterday and was as grateful as I’ve ever been to fall into a deep, peaceful sleep, feeling ‘safe’ in my own apartment and with my husband by my side. Now I just hope that I can manage to edit my footage, alone in my apartment during the day, in time for Halloween… and that the end product is worth it!

Also, of course… I hope I can get through the remaining interviews I still have to film!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your grateful informations, this blogs will be really help for students loan

    ReplyDelete